Percentage of Houstonians who rent their homes
On average, renter households struggle to find affordable options more than homeowners. 46% of renter households spend 30% or more of their monthly income on housing. 23% spend 50% or more. Three-fifths of children live in rental units. So do two-thirds of Houston’s foreign-born population.
Houston was short on affordable multifamily homes before Hurricane Harvey. Now, our need is even more urgent. The Harvey Multifamily Program builds and repairs multifamily developments. These new and refurbished units will stay affordable to low- and moderate-income residents for at least 20 years.
Map of Selected Developments
|April 2019||2nd Quarter 2019||1st Quarter 2020||2021|
|1st Round Applications||Announcement of funded projects||2nd Round Applications||3rd Round Applications|
Applicants will apply for this funding through a Notice of Funding Available (NOFA) process. HCDD will update this website with important dates.
The City prioritizes developments that:
- Leverage other financing sources
- Create mixed income housing opportunities
- Are close to public transit and highly rated schools
- Reinvest in Complete Communities and other Community Reinvestment Areas
- Are located in areas where real estate values are rising and where many moderate- and low-income residents need affordable options
- Protect from future flooding and climate concerns