File a Complaint

Complaints of fraud, waste or abuse must be immediately escalated to the City of Houston Office of Inspector General , or Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) Office of Inspector General regardless of whether the complaint is informal or formal.

The City of Houston Housing and Community Development Department (HCDD) welcomes feedback and complaints from any member of the public. Complaints are accepted in writing or over the telephone. Complaints will be responded to in writing within 15 business days, when possible.

How to File a Complaint

Via Phone

Via Phone

In Person or Via Mail

In Person or Via Mail

Address to:

City of Houston
Housing and Community Development Department
2100 Travis Street, 9th Floor
Houston, Texas 77002
ATTN: Complaints and Appeals

Information Needed to File a Complaint

When submitting a complaint, please provide as much information as possible including:

  • Name
  • Phone number
  • Email (optional)
  • Address
  • Department’s division name or program name
  • A short description of the events(s) that cause you to file a complaint

State Escalation – Hurricane Ike, Flood 2016, And Hurricane Harvey Concerns Or Complaints Only

Texas General Land Office

Complainants should initially contact their local jurisdiction (City of Houston Housing and Community Development Department) in accordance with their local policies and procedures for customer complaints. However, in the case that the complainant's inquiries or concerns are not addressed with the City, they have the right to escalate the complaint to the Texas General Land Office (GLO). The GLO will work with the City of Houston Housing and Community Development Department to provide a timely response. The response will be provided within 15 business days of the receipt of the complaint, if possible.

Mailing Address

Texas General Land Office
PO Box 12873
Austin, TX 78711-2873

Phone: 844.893.8937 or 512.475.5000

Language Assistance

HCD provides language assistance available by request.