The Harvey Buyout Program will acquire multifamily developments located in areas of severe flood risk, preventing future flood impacts to residents. Eligible activities include the acquisition of existing multifamily land and properties, and demolition and relocation of households from acquired properties.
A property is eligible if:
- It is located within the tax jurisdiction of the City of Houston and within either the floodway or the 100-year floodplain.
- The property contained a rental multifamily structure (such as an apartment complex) at the time of Hurricane Harvey.
- The property was impacted by Hurricane Harvey.
- The property owner and sellers are in good standing in any past grants, loans, or loan commitments with the Department.
- The property owner and sellers are current on property taxes.
- Sellers , developer owners, principals, development/borrowers or general contractors must not be debarred as cited on federal and state debarment lists in accordance with 24 C.F.R. 570.609 , as well as other applicable laws.
- Owners must not discriminate based on ethnicity, race, color, creed, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or Veteran’s discharge status.
There is no application for this program. Properties bought will be selected by the Department according to an overall plan for flood mitigation, which will be developed alongside the City of Houston Public Works Department. To learn more about the program generally, please contact Shea Adolphin (email@example.com).
The Harvey Buyout Program has purchased 4 properties so far and in some cases, has combined funding from this disaster with funding from the Multifamily Voluntary Buyout Program conducted following the 2016 Flooding Events. In the map below, you can learn a bit about each of our purchases and what will be done with these properties.
Please note that if a purchase results in residents being displaced, HCDD will follow the guidance of the Uniform Relocation Assistance and Real Property Acquisition Act (URA).
|Document Name||Last Updated|
|Program Guidelines||April 28, 2021|
|URA Policy||November 23, 2020|
|Residential Anti-Displacement & Relocation Assistance Plan (RARAP)||March 2020|
|Multifamily Voluntary Buyout Program Flyer||January 19,2022|
|Multifamily Voluntary Buyout Program FAQs||January 19,2022|