Harvey Buyout Program
The Harvey Buyout Program will acquire multifamily developments located in areas of severe flood risk, preventing future flood impacts to residents. Eligible activities include the acquisition of existing multifamily land and properties, and demolition and relocation of households from acquired properties.
A property is eligible if:
- It is located within the tax jurisdiction of the City of Houston and within either the floodway or the 100-year floodplain.
- The property contained a rental multifamily structure (such as an apartment complex) at the time of Hurricane Harvey.
- The property was impacted by Hurricane Harvey.
- The property owner and sellers are in good standing in any past grants, loans, or loan commitments with the Department.
- The property owner and sellers are current on property taxes.
- Sellers , developer owners, principals, development/borrowers or general contractors must not be debarred as cited on federal and state debarment lists in accordance with 24 C.F.R. 570.609 , as well as other applicable laws.
- Owners must not discriminate based on ethnicity, race, color, creed, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or Veteran’s discharge status.
There is no application for this program. Properties bought will be selected by the Department according to an overall plan for flood mitigation, which will be developed alongside the City of Houston Public Works Department. To learn more about the program generally, please contact Shea Adolphin (email@example.com). If you are a property seller interested in the Harvey Buyout Program, please contact Rupa Sen (firstname.lastname@example.org).