Interested in getting help?
Before you fill out an application, you will need to do two things:
- Complete a Homebuyer Education Course through an approved agency. These are 8-hour classes meant to help new homebuyers learn the steps of the homebuying process. You will have to submit the certificate for this course with your application. Online class options are available, so long as you also meet for a 1-on-1 advising session with a representative at an agency.
- Obtain a pre-approval letter for a mortgage from a bank or lender. You do not have to have a home selected to get a pre-approval letter.
- Select a home within the property tax jurisdiction of the City of Houston. If you are looking for a realtor to help choose your home, this list of realtors have previously worked with the program. Realtors included on this list are not endorsed by the City of Houston.
Now, it’s time to apply!
- Gather all the documents in the document checklist.
- Call 832-394-6200 to speak with a program representative and begin an application. You can also download the application and submit it via email, in person, or through the mail.
- Fill out an application.
Please note that there is no fee to participate in the Harvey Homebuyer Assistance Program. If someone tells you there is a fee, you should report them for fraud.